Tuesday, July 01, 2008

[08.06.30][news] Eric: I have so many antis

Criticism towards his acting, rumors of Shinhwa disbanding popping up from time to time...Eric talks about how this makes him "very tired".

"I don't think it's a bad life, but I seem to have antis everywhere."

Actor/singer Mun Jung Hyuk (Eric) shares his woes about the negative comments surrounding himself.

We met up with Mun Jung Hyuk in Pyeonggaek, Gyeonggi-do on 29 June where he was filming the KBS2 drama Strongest Chil Woo. About his own performance and the mixed reviews from viewers, he said "We'll see what the comments are when the series has finished its broadcast. But I did think 'aren't I supposed to do it that way?' and 'do I really have that many antis?' " He is comforted by the fact that ratings have increased up against the competition.

About comments criticising his sageuk cadence and that he's not suitable for sageuk dramas, he said "They could be thinking that because the image of me as Shinhwa's Eric is stuck in their minds. Initially the production team couldn't get used to it either, but as time passed we all got accustomed to it."

Mun Jung Hyuk made his debut in 1998 with Shinhwa when he was just 20 years old, and 10 years has passed since then. Recently there have been rumours of members not getting along and of Shinhwa disbanding. He has this to say, "This is definitely not what we are thinking. Rumors like this appear all the time, and I realise that we do have quite many antis. In my 20s I might have used legal means and argued my way through, but as I grew older, I've mellowed a lot."

He made a confession that he once considered quitting showbiz. "After Phoenix, I felt really empty, and I spent a week diving at Jejudo. I was too engrossed in my character, and when I suddenly had all this time to rest, I just felt lost."

With regards to the greatest difference for him in his 20s and his 30s, he said "I have more specific goals and I look for more challenging work. I'm really addicted to that now. Also I treat the people around me better so that no one gets hurt."

Choosing Strongest Chil Woo as his pre-enlistment project is his gift to viewers and fans. "There are many activities going on now, and I've received lots of support and love. Although there are times that I don't do well enough, but I hope that this will be a nice present to the viewers and the fans."


Source: donga
Chi trans: 丢丢@情投E赫
Eng trans: midnightgirl13@shinhwabiz

No comments: